We are working with an independent practice based in Tiverton, Devon that is owned and managed by a single director, that is looking for an experienced Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon to join them on a permanent basis.
Their flexible working conditions accommodate someone who might want to do some mixed practice work, including both farm and equine, should anyone want to occasionally escape the confines of the surgery, but this is not obligatory. The job would be between 70% and 100% small animal. They can also provide flexibility in working hours, with the opportunity to work a basic three, four, or a five-day working week, but with the flexibility to meet personal circumstances and the needs of the business.
Our client is an independent group of 3 practices that are owned and managed by a single director with clear management and strategic direction. You will be working as part of a congenial, supportive team where they enjoy a good working atmosphere, their aim is to enjoy the work as well as make a living. The practices are located in a rural situation, but with easy access to the countryside, cities, beaches, and hills.
Their clients appreciate them and they know most of them well. They have a fair charging system and offer excellent value. They will never decline veterinary care for reasons of funding, and will always try their best to provide appropriate care for any animal that needs it.
You will be part of a team of three experienced small animal veterinary surgeons who will ensure that there is a senior vet available at both local practices at any one time. The job will consist of the usual variety of consultations and surgical procedures. The main premises have their own team of support staff, with a well-equipped consult room, surgical facility, and all the usual equipment including its own laboratory with haematology and biochemistry. Both sites have their own surgical and diagnostic facilities including ultrasound and digital radiography.
Our client is flexible in the number of hours and days you will be working and their preferred option is for an average four day week comprising 0900 – 1800 each working day. The contract will be for a specific number of working days per calendar year so that they can provide flexibility between all three small animal vets whilst maintaining cover for our valued small animal clients.
- A full five day week: 260 working days per year, with 20 working days holiday plus 8 bank holidays. The five day week would include 18 Saturdays on rotation with other vets.
- An average 4 day week, comprising 208 working days per year, including 18 Saturdays, with 16 days holiday plus 8 bank holidays
- An average 3 day week, comprising 156 working days, including 18 Saturdays, with 12 days holiday plus 8 bank holidays
You will be a Veterinary Surgeon that has core skills and experience in general small practice, which would include the following skills:
- Consultation skills: the ability to examine any small animal professionally and competently, and follow the normal diagnostic procedures confidently and ensuring client satisfaction
- Surgical skills: able to perform routine surgical procedures including neuterings, lumpectomies, and laparotomies, and an initiative to learn and develop further skills in basic orthopaedics and soft tissue surgery if you want.
- Diagnostic skills: able to use and interpret ultrasound and radiography, biochemistry, and haematology.
In return our client is offering a competitive salary that will depend upon:
- Experience and technical ability
- Qualifications, including any certificates or postgraduate qualifications
- Work package, including hours per week and out of hours involvement
The range will be £35,000 – £70,000 per annum, depending on days worked and qualifications, experience, etc..
Time off and benefits
You will get 4 weeks holiday per year, increasing after 5 years’ service. You will also get statutory bank holidays, (or time off in lieu, in the unlikely event that there should there be any need to help during a bank holiday.
You will be provided with a vehicle, which you can use for private mileage, or just business use if you choose to take the more tax-efficient option. Alternatively, you can provide your own serviceable car and claim mileage monthly for business use
There are other fringe benefits that their staff enjoy, including facilities for staff dogs, access to the practice’s horse trailer, and staff discounts.
Ref: JN -092020-16281
Interested? Click on the apply button below and we will be in touch with further details