Permanent Exotics Veterinary Surgeon - Derbyshire
We are currently working with a leading veterinary care provider in Derbyshire that is looking for an enthusiastic Exotics Vet to join their team working in their hospital.
This is an exciting opportunity for an Exotic Veterinary Surgeons to expand their knowledge and improve their skills by working closely with an Exotic double diplomate (ECZM-SM and ABVP-ECM). The successful candidate will be able to work efficiently, understanding the time constraints and fast pace of a busy private small animal hospital and with other members of the Referral Team.
The Exotic Pets and Zoological Medicine department currently consists of one clinician [a double diplomate (ECZM-SM and ABVP-ECM)], a First Opinion Exotic Vet and 2 Exotic Nurses (soon to be 3 Exotic Nurses).
Their current caseload for Exotic Pets and Zoological Medicine varies between 20 and 25 new cases a week, between 1st Opinion, 2nd Opinion and Referral Cases. They are seeing approximately 50% small mammals, 25% reptiles, 20% avian, and 5% zoological and wildlife species. The service works alongside various disciplines: internal medicine, surgery, neurology, anaesthesia, ophthalmology, dermatology, imaging, oncology and cardiology.
This role is solely focused on exotics and is a full-time position working 40 hours per week. You will take part in their exotics weekend rota, when you work the weekend, which includes two lieu days the week after, on a rotation schedule basis.
Required skills and experience:
- Experienced in exotic animal work (ideally a minimum of 2 years of exotic/mixed animal practice)
- Good communication skills, punctuality, ability to work and think clearly under pressure, good interpersonal and enthusiasm for exotic pets and zoological medicine
- Be able to work efficiently, understanding the time constraints and fast pace of a busy private small animal hospital
- Ability to make decisions, prioritise and delegate.
- Commitment to continuous development
- Be a member of the RCVS
- Good English language both verbal and written
Would be good to have:
- Certificate/Exotics Internship or a desire to enroll
Salary: Competitive - £30,000 - £40,000 DOE
Professional Perks and Benefits:
- Develop your own career plan and path: clinical vet, internships, and residencies.
- Attractive remuneration package
- A 40 hour week allows a great work/life balance
- No out-of-hours
- Excellent CPD allowance of £1,250 per year
- In-house training: weekly clinical clubs, weekly to monthly journal clubs, monthly CPD evenings, online learning portal
- RCVS and VDS membership paid plus 2 subscriptions of your choice.
- 6 weeks holiday plus Bank Holidays and birthday off work
- Private health care
- Death in Service cover
- The practice focuses on health and wellbeing
- Discount pet health scheme
- Company Sick Pay
- Enhanced Maternity/Paternity Pay
Ref: JN -022022-24164
Interested? Click on the apply button below and we will be in touch with further details