Permanent Experienced Veterinary Surgeon - Basingstoke
Type: Small Animal
Practice Type: Part of a group
Facilities: They are a well-equipped, modern practice with the usual toys including dental x-ray, AO-ASIF kit including air drill (they do most of their own orthopaedics), ultrasound machine, and multi-parameter monitor.
- They have a fantastic team of 7 very experienced vets, who all have different specialties and areas of interest and all of whom enjoy discussing cases and sharing their knowledge and experience with their colleagues.
- Their vets are supported by a great team of RVNs most of whom they have trained themselves; they also have a dedicated reception team and a Practice Manager.
The Role: They have worked hard over the last year and a half to improve the work-life balance of their team, they have reduced their opening times to 9 am-6 pm Monday to Saturday
Hours: Their full-time vets now work 4 days a week, with one full day off during the week
Weekends: One in three Saturdays. Saturdays are worked with one other vet, two nurses, and two receptionists.
Duties: Apart from a few vaccination appointments, there are no pre-bookable appointments on Saturdays (unless a vet requests this themselves) and they mainly see emergencies or patients that would benefit from being booked in on the day.
Sole charge: There is no sole charge in this practice.
So how do their days' work:
- 9-10 am, admits and transfers from OOH (if any).
- 10-1 pm, 15 min consults (30 min for complex cases and euthanasia)
- 1-3 pm, check your inpatients, lunch, and admin work.
- The operating Vet doesn’t have any appointments in the afternoon so usually manages to deal with the ops list but you are free to help between 1-3 pm if you want to do your own stuff (ie, ultrasounds or minor procedures)
- 3-6 pm, 15 min consults
- You would have 1 operating day and 3 consult days per week.
- The phones are switched over at 6 pm so they have the last hour to do the final catch-up of the day. If you are done by 6 pm you can go but, honestly, that hardly ever happens.
- Basically, they close at 6 pm so they can go home at 7 rather than closing at 7 to go home at 8 pm.
- They have 18 “book on day” appointments every day; this works very well as it stops them from being fully booked at the beginning of the day and allows sufficient appointments for those cases that really need to be seen.
- Finally, kindness is key in their practice; they are a very close multi-cultural group that respects each other.
- There is no pre-established hierarchy so whoever joins their team must be a team player and kind to those they work with.
The Package: In return, they offer a competitive salary that is reflective of skills and experience plus a benefits package - full details will be discussed in the interview
Ref: JN -062022-25369
Interested? Click on the apply button below and we will be in touch with further details